It has been ages since I made a souffle most probably around the same time I used to have a fondue pot (many moons ago)! Having said that, I cannot resist a challenge and ‘Is My Blog Burning‘ has a new blog event. The theme for the newest Hay Hay It’s Donna Day is – souffles. They can be sweet or savory. The one requirement is that they look like a souffle! Post your results – whether they’re tragic or triumphant – by January 27th for a chance to win a Donna Hay inspired prize and the honor of hosting HHDD #10!

I must say it was exciting at first but as I got involved making this dish, my enthusiasm slowly faded. What if this turned out to be a big flop? Then I thought, it’s a learning experience and once I’m done I will have gained more knowledge than if I had never participated, I think! Well, that’s what I tell my kids so I best put to practice what I preach!

Serves 4
1 cup of milk
1 thick onion slice
1 bay leaf
6 whole black peppercorns
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
salt and pepper to taste
4 egg yokes
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 pound zucchini, coarsely grated
6 egg whites
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 200c (400f). Generously butter a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish.

White Sauce:
In a saucepan add the milk, onion, bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring to almost a boil and remove from heat. Allow to stand 10 minutes to infuse the flavors . Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes, however, do not allow it to brown. Remove from heat. Strain the milk into the butter/flour mixture and beat until combined. Return to heat. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Place the white sauce over low heat and beat in the egg yokes one at a time. Stir until the sauce has thickened and remove from heat. Let cool to warm.

Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and add the onion. Cook until soft but not colored (about 5-7 minutes). Squeeze out excess moisture from the zucchini and add to the onion mixture. Cook for 2 minutes then stir in the parsley. Stir this mixture into the white sauce followed by the Parmesan cheese.

Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add 1/4 of the egg whites to the warm zucchini mixture and stir to combine. Add this mixture back to the remaining egg whites and fold together as lightly as possible. Pour into the prepared souffle dish.

The Culinary Chase’s Note: Make sure your eggs are at room temperature, the oven is hot and place the souffle dish on the bottom rack of the oven. Refrigerate or freeze the buttered dish to help the souffle raise straight up. A parchment collar wrapped around the souffle dish will give you a higher souffle & keep its shape. Cooking the souffle was easy but removing it from the dish was a bit messy. Maybe I’ll use ramekins next time! Cheers!

18 Comments

1. wheresmymind on January 16, 2007 at 17:53

Arr…I so want to make a souffle one of these days!

2. Anonymous on January 16, 2007 at 18:18

Zucchini souffle looks super spongy and moist.
    Thanx
    Seema

3. Anonymous on January 16, 2007 at 19:49

Your sufflé looks great! I think I will save this recipe… I like zucchine a lot!
    Ciao.

4. the ulterior epicure on January 17, 2007 at 15:23

Gosh! That’s textbook perfect! Thanks for the recipe.

5. The Culinary Chase on January 18, 2007 at 08:44

Thanks everyone for your kind words! I was a bit apprehensive making the souffle as it has been a “very” long time since I made one. Cheers!

6. Anonymous on January 21, 2007 at 16:54

yum! i’m going to attempt my first souffle also. i bought four smaller ramkins instead of one large souffle bowl so i hope it comes off okay. that’s a project for later in the week. i’m going for a chocolate dessert type.

yours looks so good. must be a really savory dinner.

by the way, love your blog. i’ve added to my list of favorites and posted a link on my foodie blog.

7. Barbara on February 3, 2007 at 08:16

That looks perfect…and you managed to photograph it before it fell. Thanks for joining us at HHDD.

8. rachel on February 4, 2007 at 03:52

That looks SO tasty! What a great way to use some veggies.

9. Anonymous on June 3, 2008 at 03:15

You forgot to put the bake time in, I didn’t even look for it it till I was ready to put is in the oven. you called for a 1 # of zuchinni it would have been helpful if the recipe said 3 med or 2 large zuchinnis. I ended up not using all the grated zuchinni.In spite of that it came out looking like the photo and the texture was great, taste too.

10. The Culinary Chase on June 3, 2008 at 10:00

Sorry anonymous about the time….I think it was 20min for fan forced oven otherwise 40 minutes. By the way,leftover grated zucchini can be used in zucchini fritters, fritattas, soups etc. As for the description of a pound of zucchini, you can usually get that weighed at the vegetable section in the grocery store or if they’re packaged, the weight is usually on the label. Cheers!

11. Barbara E on June 2, 2009 at 02:15

Made this tonight and it came out well – which is really good because I don’t do this kind of cooking much at all. It was a little wet – I think I needed to squeeze more water out of the zucchini. I also added one large clove of garlic to the onions and a bit of fresh tarragon to the parsley. I cooked it in a convection oven at 400 f for 20 minutes.

12. The Culinary Chase on June 2, 2009 at 09:44

Thanks Barbara E! I like your additions. When I grated the zucchini, I squeezed as much juice out as I could & using a tea towel helps, too! Cheers!

13. Anonymous on August 9, 2009 at 20:58

This souffle recipe is wonderful! My second one in two weeks is in the oven as I type… thanks

14. Anonymous on September 13, 2009 at 18:16

I have been looking and looking for a zuchinni souffle recipe that is close to the one I lost years ago; I found it here. Have you ever tried this recipe but instead of parmesan cheese fold in about 2 cups of shredded medium cheddar…yummy!!

15. mdvlist on August 25, 2010 at 21:05

How much parsley did you use? It’s not in the ingredient list, so I just slivered . . . some. I’m sure it doesn’t matter much, does it?

16. The Culinary Chase on August 26, 2010 at 12:38

mdvlist, a tablespoon should suffice. Thanks for letting me know. Cheers.

17. Nadja W on November 2, 2012 at 03:47

I echo what an anon said. What is the baking time?? Do I bake it on 200 degrees or was it just the temperature to preheat the oven?
    I”m actually making this recipe right now but will look for the cooking time elsewhere to have an idea..

18. The Culinary Chase on November 2, 2012 at 12:29

Nadja, 200c (400f), 20min for fan forced oven otherwise 40 minutes.