Who hasn’t made banana bread or cake? It’s the easiest way to utilize ripe bananas that are not only gross to look at, but emit a smell that says overripe and to be honest don’t taste good either. I used to make banana bread but after living in Asia for 11 years, the humidity does nasty things to food that holds moisture not to mention an army of ants would come out from nowhere and suddenly descend upon it when left out on the counter top (to this day my mother in-law and I still giggle about that). So, what to do? I decided to make muffins and freeze whatever isn’t consumed. I’d individually wrap the muffins and then take out to defrost when needed. I still do this – old habits die hard. The addition of chocolate chips came while living in Singapore (had some left over). These were an immediate hit with my family. This morning I was making my breakfast smoothie and had some bits of frozen raspberries left over and figured I’d throw these into the muffin batter. Voilà! Banana chocolate chip raspberry muffins were born.
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
turbinado sugar, to sprinkle on top of the muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 350f (180c).
2. Cream butter, slowly add the sugar, and beat until light.
3. Add the bananas, eggs, and vanilla and beat well. Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt, add to the banana mixture, and blend. Add milk and beat until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Gently fold in frozen raspberries.
4. Arrange muffin liners in the pan and divide batter evenly. Top each muffin with a pinch of turbinado sugar (or other large crystal sugar). Bake 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack.
The Culinary Chase’s Note: The raspberries take this muffin to a new level of baked goodness. Topping the muffins with turbinado sugar gives an added crunch and a pleasant surprise to those who aren’t expecting it. Enjoy!