web analytics

Tapenade

Comments are closed.

Roasted Chicken Breasts with Haloumi and Honey

Fresh, Fast, Simple.  That’s name of Donna Hay’s latest cookbook and it certainly is for those looking for easy weeknight meals when timing is everything.  I’ve made a few dishes from her book and two words always come to mind – fresh and flavorsome.  Halloumi (haloumi) is a traditional Cypriot cheese and is now made the world over. It is made from a mixture of goat’s and sheep milk, although some haloumi may also contain only cow’s milk. Haloumi has a high melting point, and so can easily be fried or grilled.   It is perfect companion for this dish.

Serves 2
adapted from Donna Hay

2 x 200g chicken breasts, trimmed
150g haloumi, cut into 4 slices
1 tablespoon lemon zest
6 sprigs lemon thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
fig and rocket salad, to serve

Preheat oven to 180c (350f).  Place chicken, haloumi, zest and lemon thyme in a ceramic baking dish.  Combine the oil and honey and pour over.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  Serve with a fig and rocket salad.

The Culinary Chase’s Note:  Dinner ready in 30 minutes…gotta love it!  I chose skinless, boneless chicken breasts but if you like the skin on, the honey will produce a golden brown color.  The zest and thyme lift the slightly sweet flavor of the honey making the combination very palatable.  Dress the salad with extra virgin olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.   Enjoy!

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , , ,

6 Responses to Roasted Chicken Breasts with Haloumi and Honey

1. Emily (New York, NY) March 26, 2012 at 18:32 #

Looks great! Dinner in 30 min? I’m all about that! That’s my biggest problem with cooking – I feel like I don’t have time during the week! Or I’m just too lazy after work and class… :X

2. The Culinary Chase March 26, 2012 at 20:11 #

Hi Emily, I think not enough time during the busy work week is an issue with a lot of people. I try to post recipes that take that into consideration as well as a focus on nutrition. Cheers!

3. Jamie @ Cookin' with Moxie March 27, 2012 at 00:51 #

I have yet to use haloumi but this looks like a great starter recipe. Have you made many other recipes from that Donna Hay cookbook?

I’m happy to be a new follower of yours!

4. The Culinary Chase March 27, 2012 at 12:26 #

Thanks Jamie for your kind words! Haloumi is not a cheap cheese but having said that, there’s nothing you can do to it to lessen its taste. Do a search on my site for haloumi and you’ll see I have tons of easy recipes utilizing this ‘squeaky’ cheese.

Donna Hay’s latest cookbook is full of gorgeous-looking dishes and I have made 3 from it thus far and love the results.

By the way, I visited your blog and really like it but wondered who Moxie is? Cheers!

5. Pascale April 11, 2012 at 22:20 #

What a great, simple recipe! I had to improvise a bit, since I couldn’t find any figs (roasted some grapes with the haloumi and chicken and added strawberries to the salad instead), but what a wonderful flavour combination. I love haloumi, but hadn’t really thought to use it with chicken.

My three kids (5yr old twin boys, 2 yr old daughter) ate it all up quite happily. This will definitely be made again.

Thanks for the great recipes. I’ve posted a few onto my pinterest board and am really looking forward to making more. Your photos really inspire, its a lovely blog. Keep up the great work!

Pascale

6. The Culinary Chase April 11, 2012 at 22:37 #

Thanks Pascale and so happy to hear about your successful food improvisation. I love hearing these sort of stories. Cheers!