web analytics

Spicy Baked Greek Feta

Friends of ours from my hometown had just come back from their trip to Greece and asked me if I ever had a dish with baked feta. I hadn’t but I am so glad I researched it! Thanks Grant & Kathi! This is one of the easiest appetizers you’ll ever make and it’s absolutely scrumptious! The chili flakes add just a bit of heat and compliments the salt from the feta. Feta is made in Greece with goat’s and sheep milk. Authentic feta comes with a P.D.O. (Protected Designation of Origin) stamp on the package which means at least 70% sheep’s milk with the remainder being goat’s milk.

Serves 4
recipe adapted from All Recipes

4 slices feta cheese
extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes, or as needed
dried oregano
1 red bell pepper, roasted and chopped

Preheat an oven to 180c. Place the feta in an oven proof baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Spread the bell pepper over each slice and cover liberally with pepper flakes. Sprinkle with oregano. Cover with tin foil and bake in the oven 10 minutes. Remove cover and bake a further 5 minutes or until the feta is lightly browned. Serve hot with freshly baked crusty bread.

The Culinary Chase’s Note: The ingredients are approximate so experiment a bit. You won’t be disappointed with the results! Some recipes call for each slice of feta to be covered in foil and served individually but I like the ideal of communal eating. I have seen a few recipes that use tomato slices instead of red bell pepper but I think if I did use tomato, I’d chop it up like I did with the red pepper. Or why not puree some semi-dried tomatoes and add this to the cheese. At any rate, make sure you have a really good quality bread to mop up the juices.

13 Responses to Spicy Baked Greek Feta

1. Kalyn November 24, 2008 at 14:32 #

Oh my goodness! This one has my name all over it. Thanks for a great recipe! (Bookmarking immediately.)

2. Bill W, NH, USA November 24, 2008 at 19:36 #

“but I like the ideal of communal eating.” I do too and my girlfriend and I eat that way every evening unless we’re having tacos. The problem is, what do you do with dinner guests in North America? We’ve never gone that far yet. I do like my sticky rice, laab, and somtum papaya. I used to eat that same meal every evening up in Nakhon Phanom and never tired of it.

How much longer will you be in Bangkok Heather?

3. Ayesha November 24, 2008 at 20:07 #

Feta cheese and chilli flakes go great on pizza too. Although you would want to decide whether to use it in combination with the mozarealla or not depending on how calorie conscious you are.

• Rosa August 11, 2014 at 20:00 #

I’m impressed by your writing. Are you a professional or just very knlelwdgeaboe?

4. Bill W, NH November 25, 2008 at 20:01 #

I only asked as things are looking a bit dicey there, both airports under PAD control is what I’m hearing. I was around for the ’75 coup and, as violent as that was, they didn’t harm any falangs.

5. The Culinary Chase November 26, 2008 at 01:54 #

Thanks Kalyn, Ayesha & Bill! This is a super easy appetizer not to mention yum-my! 🙂

Bill: Yes, the protests have escalated this week in hopes that the PM will step down. Foreigners aren’t being targeted which is a good thing & for me it’s business as usual. 🙂

6. Peter M November 26, 2008 at 16:04 #

This is a great meze and I liked that you used peppers as tomatoes are suspect this time of year. There are many ways to approach this meze but your take looks wonderful…I’d dig in!

7. The Culinary Chase November 27, 2008 at 12:13 #

Thanks Peter! I love the flavor of roasted peppers & felt it would be a good mix with the feta & chili. 🙂

8. Bellini Valli December 12, 2008 at 12:36 #

This is one of my favourites…since I love all things Greek:D

9. The Culinary Chase December 13, 2008 at 09:44 #

Thanks Bellini! You won’t be disappointed with this dish……Cheers!

10. Alex October 26, 2009 at 09:32 #

I had something similar to this in Greece a few years back whilst there for a friends wedding, looking forwards to trying this tonight 😛

11. The Culinary Chase October 26, 2009 at 11:48 #

Thanks Alex! This is an easy appetizer to make & so easy to eat! Cheers!

12. Verle August 12, 2014 at 02:11 #

AFAIC th’tas the best answer so far!